[TriLUG] affero license draft approved

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Thu Aug 16 18:34:25 EDT 2007

This is again one of the attempts to "close the ASP loophole" meaning
that if GMail were to use source governed by the AGPL then they would
have to AGPL their whole codebase...thus "make available on the web"
becomes "distribution" in effect. Also more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGPL

I think on the trivial level I disagree with having a company's name in
the license title of an FSF license...

 > From: Brett Smith <brett at fsf.org>
 > > To: info-gplv3 at gplv3.fsf.org, info-fsf at gnu.org, info-gnu at gnu.org
 > > Subject: Second discussion draft of GNU AGPL version 3 released
 > > Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:59:33 -0400
 > >
 > > The Free Software Foundation (FSF) today released the second
discussion draft
 > > of the GNU Affero General Public License (GNU AGPL).  This new
license is
 > > based on version 3 of the GNU GPL.  It has a new requirement to
ensure that
 > > users who interact with the software over a network can receive the
  source for
 > > that program.
 > >
 > > The original Affero GPL was intended to guarantee that everyone
could receive
 > > the source for web applications that they used, so the software
could always
 > > be shared and improved.  The corresponding provision in the GNU
AGPL applies

--
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
http://buni.org