[TriLUG] trilug-ontopic@ proposal Re: Why don't people come to

Nick Goldwater nick at dogstar1.com
Thu Aug 16 19:57:45 EDT 2007

----- "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver at buni.org> wrote:
> Sorry that came across more "imperative" than I thought (it is 1am and
> woke up to a loud TV as Alec fell asleep watching MTV or something).
> Those were meant to be my proposals for a list and not "this will
> happen" as I know some view the steering committee members as
> potential
> all-powerful world dictators ;-)
>
> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, I think it has come to this.  We have some folks who
> are
> > like "I dun wanna grow up" and others who are "Oh my eyes my eyes"
> and
> > some folks are "humm, I can't refer my mom to that list because she
>
> > won't have the patience to distill all the off topic posts and will
> just
> > freak at certain other posts."  Ultimately "against" in such a case
>
> > should be "will not subscribe" and not "you can't have it because I
>
> > don't like it" IMO.
> >
> > I favor keeping trilug@ a jungle (albeit still regulate
> "ridiculously
> > out there" potential liability posts) and have a trilug-ontopic.
> >
> > 1. The only vote will be with your feet but we should have a set of
>
> > moderators who volunteer and are then selected by the list members
> (say
> > 3 of them).
> > 2. A set of rules for ontopic/out-of-bounds be selected
> > 3. Some "objectives" or "quantifiable results" for success selected
> > avoid a dead and potentially spam gathering list) [like we must have
> 3
> > moderators at all time or it shuts, and at least say 20
> subscribers]
> >
> > Those who want a "kinder gentler" LUG will subscribe.  Those who do
>
> > not...will not.
> >
> > -Andy
> >

> --
> Buni Meldware Communication Suite
> http://buni.org
> Multi-platform and extensible Email,
> Calendaring (including freebusy),
> Rich Webmail, Web-calendaring, ease
> of installation/administration.

I think I have posted about this topic more than I have posted to the list in total over the many years I have lurked here. That said, I really do not feel strongly about it either way. In my opinion things will not significantly change because of or in spite of a CoC or 2 lists.

This debate seems to have stemmed from a desire to have a 'professional' face to show the public. A public that may sponsor TriLUG. (it's always about the money)

Not having exposure to other Linux User Groups I really have nothing to compare TriLUG's *image* to. I'll venture to say that it's probably about the same as any other of its size.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that TriLUG's purpose is not a profit oriented one. If a possible sponsor makes a decision about their involvement based on an open mailing list well... so be it.

I ventured out to the Chapel Hill meeting yesterday. There was no 'easy' parking and no food. But there were friendly folks and interesting discussion. If that is the face of a meeting with no sponsor I'll just be sure to pack a snack the next time.

So as far as the mailing list... Yes, people should not attack others publicly, or privately for that matter. Will two lists change human behavior? We will probably just end up with two of what we have now. Or worse the act of moderation will create more problems than it will solve.

There is one thing I do know for sure. You can choose what threads to follow. I typically look for headers of interest and check 'em out. This is similar to the whole debate over television. You don't *have* to watch something you find objectionable even though it might feel like the remote is broken.

Nick