[TriLUG] Linux tutorial recommendations

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Aug 17 00:25:48 EDT 2007

So it's been a while since I've been involved in teaching people Linux.
We have a new employee at work who has little *Nix experience, but is an
experienced Windows administrator, and relatively clueful, so I don't
expect he'll have a hard time learning the basics.  But I'd like to help
him find some good self-study materials.

We don't need to teach him to become a fully competent sysadmin, but he
needs to be comfortable enough on Red Hat-style platforms to support a
web-based application.

Does anyone have any good self-study tutorials or recommendations?
What's the current "state of the art" ?  Or maybe a book recommendation?

We're primarily using RHEL 4 and 5, so the materials would need to
either be "distro-agnostic" or specific to RHEL... something too
specific to another distro would be too confusing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--Jeremy