[TriLUG] Upgrading network: new switch or multi-homed server?

Lee elfick at mac.com
Fri Aug 17 11:20:39 EDT 2007

On Aug 17, 2007, at 11:02 AM, Don Jerman wrote:

> On 8/17/07, Lee <elfick at mac.com> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>> I'd like to upgrade my network to gigE but I would only have 3
>> machines wired. I was wondering if it would be more efficient (both
>> in terms of performance and $) to get a new switch or to multi-home
>> my server.
>
> You still need at least a gigE hub/repeater unless you're talking
> crossover-cables and extra network ports.  You can get a (purportedly)
> Gigabit switch with around 8 ports for around $60-$100.  Some of the
> 5-ports are down around $30-40.  Since your uplink is probably not

I forgot to mention that I also want jumbo frame support and most
(possibly all) of the cheap gigE switches don't have jumbo frame
support. I was considering going with a small managed/smart switch,
which are currently running $200-$250 so I figured I might be able to
get away without a switch at all. Multihoming (unless I have my
terminology wrong) refers to having more than one network port in a
box so that was already accounted for and all the ports have MDI/MDIX
auto-negotiation so crossover cables wouldn't be necessary.

There would be the cost of the extra ports. If I were to upgrade my
server a motherboard with 4 ports can be had for about $75 more than
the others I was considering so I'd call that a wash vs. the cost of
a switch, if not an outright win.

Performance differences still remain a question though. I can't
imagine that adding a switch to the mix would have any chance of
improving performance. Can anyone clear up that point for me?

-Lee