[TriLUG] Disk Wipers

Craig Taylor ctalkobt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 00:17:46 EDT 2007

On 8/19/07, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 19 August 2007 17:17, Douglas Ward wrote:
> > That's what I use it for.  I shred /dev/devicename.  I usually shred
> > the device three times (and write zeroes on the fourth pass).  If
> > that's not a good solution I need to find something else.  Is there
> > anything better?
>
> Assuming you no longer need to use the disk (and if you needed to use it
> you
> wouldn't need to wipe it), I take it out in the driveway and erase its
> contents with a 24 ounce hammer. I don't quit until no part of the former
> platters is bigger than a square centimeter. Anyone who can put that back
> together is welcome to my identity.

The intention is for a non-profit to use donated disks to place new images
on them. As a 'encouragement' measure they're wanting to claim some degree
of security in the 'wipe-iness'. For me, I would be fine with a 'dd
if=/dev/[zero|rand] of=' mechanism like some have mentioned but it's a piece
of mind thing for the donor companies I believe...

- Craig Taylor