[TriLUG] Disk Wipers

Don Jerman djerman at pobox.com
Mon Aug 20 07:20:42 EDT 2007

On 8/20/07, Craig Taylor <ctalkobt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/19/07, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday 19 August 2007 17:17, Douglas Ward wrote:
> > > That's what I use it for.  I shred /dev/devicename.  I usually shred
> > > the device three times (and write zeroes on the fourth pass).  If
> > > that's not a good solution I need to find something else.  Is there
> > > anything better?
> >
> > Assuming you no longer need to use the disk (and if you needed to use it
> > you
> > wouldn't need to wipe it), I take it out in the driveway and erase its
> > contents with a 24 ounce hammer. I don't quit until no part of the former
> > platters is bigger than a square centimeter. Anyone who can put that back
> > together is welcome to my identity.
> >

> The intention is for a non-profit to use donated disks to place new images
> on them. As a 'encouragement' measure they're wanting to claim some degree
> of security in the 'wipe-iness'. For me, I would be fine with a 'dd
> if=/dev/[zero|rand] of=' mechanism like some have mentioned but it's a piece
> of mind thing for the donor companies I believe...

dd or shred ought to do it then.  Since shred is "for the purpose" and
has online docs you should probably use that (they can look it up).  I
use the hammer solution generally, but that's because when I get rid
of a drive either it or my last PC with that interface has become
inoperative.

If you add that it's OK for the donors to take whatever measures they
like (and maybe mention shred or bulk-erasers) then they should be
able to find a comfort level.  That's what they should do anyway if
they're at all concerned.