[TriLUG] UPS batteries from e-bay

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Aug 26 17:37:29 EDT 2007

I've been buying 12V,6-7AH UPS batteries for several years
from Batteries+. They last about the warrantee period (2yrs)
and have no complaints about the batteries other than they
are expensive.

Last replacement cycle (a year ago), I found that I could
get equivalent (Zeus) batteries for half the price from
e-bay. Wow, a battery is a battery right?!

I've had the Zeus batteries (about 10 of them) a year now
and everyone of them has failed (UPS alarms going off). When
I open up the UPS, I find the batteries swollen, cracked and
leaking.

I'm off to Batteries+ tomorrow.

(I wish the APC UPSs had a straight through option. When the
batteries fail, you just can't switch off the UPS and let
the power go straight through. You have to listen to the
beeping or turn off your machine.)

Joe