[TriLUG] "The Linux Experience" at Dell, a tale of woe and wow. VERY LONG

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Wed Aug 29 12:53:49 EDT 2007

I was expecting an epic of homeric proportions; this read more like a
synopsis.

In any case, what I've observed of Dell over the years has left me less
than thrilled about them, and Ubuntu isn't even Dell's first attempt at
selling its hardware with Linux pre-loaded.

Several years ago (say, '01) when I was working at Nando, the bulk of our
servers were Dell server series systems running Red Hat 7.0 pre-installed.
One morning I came in to learn that the admins were having issues with one
of the database servers; apparently the RAID card had gone wonky and had
corrupted all three disks attached to it.

They called Dell for support and were told, "Oh, hmm, that's nice.
Hardware fails, buy a new box." (it was on-board RAID IIRC).  So they
ordered a new box, configured it (still pre-loaded with Red Hat) and put
it in the rack.  Some months later, it died just like its predecessor.
They called Dell back, "Um, something's broken."  Dell's response was to
ask what OS they were running.  "We don't support Linux.  You should use
the Windows disk that came with the server."  "Guys...*YOU* installed that
for us."  "We did?  Oh.  Well, you have to buy another server."

When the *THIRD* server died...they finally listened to our admins and
checked if there was a hardware design issue (there was) but decided they
weren't going to fix it.

About the same time all of that was transpiring with knowledgable IT
professionals, my brother (a ChemE student) had the disk in his new Dell
PC go bad.  When he finally got through to them and got them to agree to
fix it, they sent a tech to his apartment who was going to leave the disk
and run for it.  My brother made the tech install the disk, but once the
physical installation was done, the tech fled, leaving my brother (not a
technophobe, but also not an IT guy) to reinstall Windows and all the
drivers that Dell likes to keep on their site.

Bottom line is that Linux or not, I refuse to buy a Dell.

--
William Sutton