[TriLUG] "The Linux Experience" at Dell, a tale of woe and wow. VERY LONG

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 11:05:49 EDT 2007

I did tech support for Dell and other hardware vendors years ago and unless things have changed it is all outsourced to third party contractors who rarely check the backgrounds of their employees. I've seen a lot of incompetence in the support staff for many vendors, not just Dell. I'm not sure about IBM these days, but most of them have gone this route and it's pretty much hit and miss as to the skill level of the technician who shows up at your door.

At my last job, I got in to the habit of just taking the part from the technician and replacing it myself then giving the old part to the tech so he could ship it back. Most of the time, I knew more about our systems than the techs who showed up. I wouldn't trust most of them as far as I could gently throw them.

Kevin