[TriLUG] Data Modeling Tools

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 12:22:56 EDT 2007

On Thursday 30 August 2007 11:35, Glenn Starling wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 11:22 -0400, Ron Joffe wrote:
> > with Oracle ?? is it the open source part or the $$$ part
> > that makes you shy away from utilizing Oracle?
>
> I have used Oracle and the other tools I mentioned at various employers.
> Now, I am doing this project on my own and don't have access to the
> software previous employers provided.  After finishing development of
> the application, I still will have the marketing time before any income
> from sales will come my way!  Therefore, purchasing a database is out of
> the question, but purchasing a development tool is a possibility if no
> Open Source equivalent is available.

Just a couple of comments:

First I am not trying to drive you away from open source, but sometimes the
right tool for the job is not open source.

Second, I am a big fan of oracle from a technology point of view.

Oracle does provide both cost free versions of their database :

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html

And they do provide a development license (cost free as well) for all of their
tools.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/index.html

Lastly, the price for oracle licenses for production use used to be enormous,
they are much more manageable now.

Ron