[TriLUG] Looking OSS load testing

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Thu Aug 30 16:15:07 EDT 2007

Andy wrote:
> OpenSTA - Windows only
> JMeter - Shit
> Grinder - decent but laborious
> Apbench - for apache benching
> Generally a grinder script should fit the bill.  Use wireshark to get
> data, etc.

I never saw a response from Roy at what level he is looking to
test...If you have specific HTTP transactions to model, some of those
tools are usable.  If you actually want to model what the user is doing
in the browser, you'll want something higher level.

If forced to choose an OSS solution, I would look first to WebLoad,
which was open-sourced this year by RadView.  It is still somewhat
labor intensive, being that it is a script-based tool. But it looks
better than the others, IMO. They now make their money on services
and their "pro" add-ons.  The Pro version is pretty much required if
you want to generate a LOT of load, because the distributed load
engine part of their solution was not open sourced.

> Webperformanceinc's stuff is certainly my favorite...Trick them into
> OSSing some of it under GPL or something and then maintaining their ASP
> model.

Heh heh.  Radview beat us to it ;)

I've heard they decided to open-source because their service business
was strong and software sales were way down. Some have implied that the
software is so hard to use that it was cheaper to just hire the experts
to do the work than buy the software and learn to use it...but you
didn't hear that from me.
:>

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software & Services