[TriLUG] SEO Question

David Brain dbrain at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 16:18:24 EDT 2007

Sorry about that... not sure what hot key made it send, but I'll try
to avoid it happening again..

As I was saying..
> The way I've handled this in the past (and it does depend on the
> degree of control you have over the outsourced site) is that we setup
> apache such that:

 www.example.com/forum

is proxy forwarded by apache to www.privateexample.com/forum (or
something like that)

That way you have the forum installed on a separate server (which
would be one you control in your case), but to the outside world it
appears to be all one big site.  It does allegedly (and I'm never too
sure how much to believe SEO folks) make a difference to the sites
overall ranking (i.e the Google page rank).

config on the www.example.com side would be something like:

    ProxyPass /forum/ http://www.privateexample.com/forum/
    ProxyPass /forum http://www.privateexample.com/forum/
    ProxyPassReverse /forum/ http://www.privateexample.com/forum/

There is almost certainly going to be some rewrite magic going to be
needed on the 'private' side too - but that can be a bit application
specific.

David.