[TriLUG] SEO Question

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 16:22:42 EDT 2007

you could also just set up a dns alias of forum.example.com redirecting to
example.com/forum

On 8/30/07, David Brain <dbrain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry about that... not sure what hot key made it send, but I'll try
> to avoid it happening again..
>
> As I was saying..
> > The way I've handled this in the past (and it does depend on the
> > degree of control you have over the outsourced site) is that we setup
> > apache such that:
> >
> www.example.com/forum
>
> is proxy forwarded by apache to www.privateexample.com/forum (or
> something like that)
>
> That way you have the forum installed on a separate server (which
> would be one you control in your case), but to the outside world it
> appears to be all one big site.  It does allegedly (and I'm never too
> sure how much to believe SEO folks) make a difference to the sites
> overall ranking (i.e the Google page rank).
>
> config on the www.example.com side would be something like:
>
>     ProxyPass /forum/ http://www.privateexample.com/forum/
>     ProxyPass /forum http://www.privateexample.com/forum/
>     ProxyPassReverse /forum/ http://www.privateexample.com/forum/
>
> There is almost certainly going to be some rewrite magic going to be
> needed on the 'private' side too - but that can be a bit application
> specific.
>
> David.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2