[TriLUG] OpenSource equivalents matrix

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:07:27 EDT 2007

BLAAAHHHH!!!
that's not a database! that's a text file!!

though, I guess if you don't need data integrity, and you don't mind having
potentially bajillions of repeats or *almost* repeats, it's usable :)

WMM

On 9/5/07, jonc at nc.rr.com <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> You probably won't be happy with this answer, but for our corporate
> purposes, we use Bash in place of tasks you would do with Access. The
> database is formatted text or csv... Surprising how efficient and compatible
> all our "databases" are.  :-)
>
> Jon (really old school) Carnes
>
> ---- Tim Jowers <timjowers at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm so sick of Winblows I'm writing an executive with an executive
> summary
> > of OpenSource equivalents. Can anyone add to this?
> >
> >    Microsoft Word
> >
> > OpenOffice.org Writer, Abiword
> >
> > Microsoft Excel
> >
> > OpenOffice.org Calc, Gnumeric
> >
> > Microsoft PowerPoint
> >
> > OpenOffice.org Impress
> >
> > Microsoft Access
> >
> > MySQL, PostgreSQL, OpenOffice.org Base
> >

> >   OpenOffice.org Draw
> >

> >   OpenOffice.org Math
> >
> > Microsoft Outlook
> >
> > Evolution, Mozilla Thunderbird
> >
> > Contivity VPN Client
> >
> > OpenVPN
> >
> > MSN/Microsoft Office Communicator
> >
> > GAIM, aMSN, Kopete, etc.
> >
> > Internet Explorer
> >
> > IE on Linux, Firefox, Konqueror, etc.
> >
> > NetMeeting
> >
> > Ekiga
> >
> > WinZip
> >
> > included functionality
> >
> > Symantec Anti-virus
> >

> >    ESD Desktop Manager
> >
> > Repository architecture already part of Linux
> >
> > Java
> >
> > Java
> >
> > Eclipse
> >
> > Eclipse
> >
> > Sun NetBeans
> >
> > Sun NetBeans
> >
> > JBoss
> >
> > JBoss
> >
> > BEA WebLogic
> >
> > BEA WebLogic
> >
> > TOAD
> >
> > SQuirreL SQL Client
> >
> > WinCVS
> >
> > Cervisia, CVS, Eclipse integrated CVS
> >
> > Rational UML tools
> >
> > ArgoUML, Umbrello
> >
> > WinMerge
> >
> > diff, k3diff GUI
> >
> > Remote Assistance,
> >
> > Remote Management
> >
> > Equivalent or better tools
> >

> > Thanks!
> > TimJowers
> > --

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2