[TriLUG] help our linux POS?

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Thu Sep 6 11:02:40 EDT 2007

Got some non-POS we could use for our POS ?-) The Durham Food Co-op

http://www.durhamfoodcoop.org/

is implementing (which will involve extending) the linux port of
IS4C/Fannie

http://www.wedge.coop/is4c/

an open-source point-of-sale system in use by several US food co-ops.
We'd appreciate donations of

* PCs: we could use 2 PCs in the range of 1GHz/256 MB. One PC (the
  "lane") needs to have old-school serial and parallel ports (until we
  do USB, more below). The other will be running the backing database,
  so lotsa disk would be delightful.

* POS ("point-of-sale," not "piece of shit" !-) peripherals: receipt
  printer, cash drawer, programmable keyboard, UPC scanner

* POS expertise. If you've done something like this before, please get
  in touch. Help writing USB drivers for the POS peripherals would
  also be useful, since that would allow use of a broader range of
  hardware.

* administrative expertise: we'll need to configure our network to
  restrict access while allowing

· the lane PC to transact with the (remote) credit-card processor

· the lane and backend PCs to communicate

· administrators to have web access to the lane and backend PCs

  securely, and we'll need a better backup system than we have now.

If you can help, feel free to reply directly to me, and to forward,
and TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>