[TriLUG] IM server solution for MS Messenger clients

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Thu Sep 6 12:32:41 EDT 2007

On Wed, September 5, 2007 2:49 pm, Matt Pusateri wrote:
> I would think the argument for in house chat would be you can secure it
> better, enforce encryption, and message confidential information because
> it stays on your network.  Or at least that's why I'm putting one in at
> my work :)

That's EXACTLY it Matt, Thanks.

IM is a great tool for quickly communicating with co-workers without having to
worry about whether they are checking their e-mail. Outlook, aka "Thunder
Thighs", will take as much as half a GIG of memory to just sit on my XP
workstation. WHich only has half-a-gig of memory, of course. :P

So I'd like at least for key people in my small team to be able to quickly and
efficiently communicate, but in a way that's secure and controlled. I work in
my organization's security department, so this is critical. And mayhaps if it
works well enough, it'll open up some managers eyes to the plethora of
advantages of having IM internally.

I'm not surprised anyone at ibiblio or frankly anywhere in Academia wouldn't
make a move to change their existing IM habits. People are lazy and security
requires NOT being lazy. And academia has the mindset of openess.

Which is partially why so many, many major data breaches have been through
Universities, either directly or indirectly. *sigh*