[TriLUG] Rant: VISTA OMG PLEASE SHOOT ME

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 09:27:46 EDT 2007

While we're ranting I'll talk about Outlook. It pastes code from Eclipse in
an unreadable dark highlight. It gets in a mode itself where if you try to
copy from a message then you need a 1-2 minute coffee break before you can
paste or otherwise edit the message. Maybe this is somewhere between virus
checker and freshman software but does Microsoft even do code reviews? User
tests? I mean, Eclipse is THE #1 Development platform - probably by a huge
margin. I'm kicking and screaming for the enterprise to upgrade to Linux
because the Windows XP platform has so many problems and so fewer features.
That the enterprise hasn't moved to Vista and is having their Oracle guru's
analyze MySQL and Postgresql seems like a healthy sign to me. The standard
hardware here wouldn't run Vista anyways. The obvious end is to migrate to a
Linux desktop over the next few years starting with the technical staff. Not
a minute too soon for me!

TimJowers