[TriLUG] OT: RR Turbo in South Durham blocked ports?

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 09:34:21 EDT 2007

I think someone needs to push the envelope on them. The home internet speeds
and latencies are embarrassing for us. I read Virginia Tech or some school
ran their network through sewer lines. Maybe we can get a local city to run
a network in a co-op with investors. I've we offer FTTH at the same prive as
cable and DSL ($45/month) then we can join the rest of the world in Internet
access speeds. Without competition TimeWarner and AT&T will have no reason
to reduce their profits by installing new equipment and buying larger
Internet access bandwidths.

E.g. Cary already has Fiber to the Traffic Signal so expanding that to homes
might be possible. Apex and Holly Springs have made runs for being top rated
cities so their officials are probably interested in progress. Other areas?

My $.02,
TimJowers