[TriLUG] Rant: VISTA OMG PLEASE SHOOT ME

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Fri Sep 7 12:14:35 EDT 2007

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew C. Oliver
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2007 7:43 AM
To: Triangle Linux Users Group General Discussion
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Rant: VISTA OMG PLEASE SHOOT ME

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 06:08 -0400, OlsonE at aosa.army.mil wrote:
> I don't use Cygwin, so I can't comment on #1. I cannot say I've
> experienced #2, and I've been using Vista Ultimate since its release
> (and the 64-bit version to boot).

It seems to be based on different file locking semantics than previous
releases and different things that aren't set up to deal with it puke.

> Concerning #3, UAC was put there for a very good reason. Now, if you
> don't want your users to have added security, simply turn it off, and
> that issue's resolved. Sure it's annoying, but you get the exact same
> thing on a Mac, just the dialog box asking for your password does not
> take focus.

But it asks TWICE.  It has been a little while since I used OSX
regularly, but it never did that to me.  Where do you turn that off?

Also sometimes it tells me I have to have administrator rights...WHEN I
HAVE administrator rights!

> I have not had an issue with #4 yet, but not all hardware changes
> require re-activation.
>
> I also do not use WinZip, I personally feel that it sucks. I use 7-zip

> or WinRAR instead.

I didn't pick it, it is a "standard install" for some places...

You're like only the second person I've talked to who wasn't beating
their head against the table...

-andy

Vista...