[TriLUG] jffs/yaffs (v1,v2) on flash memory sticks?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Sep 8 14:20:41 EDT 2007

I've been using ext3 on my flash memory sticks, without any
problems, for carrying around temporary files. I'd assumed
that wear leveling was being handled by the hardware.
However I notice my WRT54GS running DD-WRT is using jffs.

I understand that the number of write cycles for flash file
systems is now in the 1000's rather than 10's. I had
expected that by the time the stick wore out, that much
large sticks would be available and I'd throw this one away.

Is there likely to be any problem using ext3 rather than one
of the flash file systems? Is it worth worrying about?

I notice from reading that mounting takes a long time with
the newer flash file systems. I just want to stick the stick
in, have it automount, copy and then be gone. I don't want
to sit around while mount does the equivalent of a fsck.

Thanks Joe