[TriLUG] [OT?} Alternate ISP

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Sep 11 07:49:14 EDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 04:23:06AM -0700, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Jim Ray wrote:
>
> > I used portbridge.com for many, many years (formerly ipass.net) and
> > enjoyed the fact that I talked to real, live local human beings when
> > necessary.
>
> I used portbridge on your recommendation and was equally
> happy with them. However they only did dial-up (I think they
> were frozen out of DSL by the big boys) and when the time
> came to go to DSL, I reluctantly had to drop portbridge.

They certainly claim to be offering DSL now, but, although I haven't
telephoned Portbridge yet, I seem to be noticing something.

The about $60 / month that I am currently paying Intrex for 256/128 is
very like what Speakeasy, as Warren suggested, is offering for their
1.5/384 ( admittedly a step up ) service.  However, to step up one
step with Speakeasy to 1.5/768, which is what they offer with the "free
hardware and installation", they want $80 per month!

So I guess what I am asking is this, is DSL priced so much higher than
Cable, and my $60 is a "reasonable" price, or are my service
expectations just unreasonable, or ???

Thanks,
Brian