[TriLUG] [OT?} Alternate ISP

David Brain dbrain at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 11:11:17 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 9/11/07, Amnon <amnon at deltaforce.net> wrote:
> Call BS !!  Most of the ISP's in the area are just reselling the BS DSL to you.  BS
> does not give ISP's any margin for profit, so some jack it up to make money (that
> is why we don't do it at Deltaforce).  $60.00 is steep !!!!!!   What's wrong with
> cable?
> (nothing you expect is reasonable :-)

Right, the actual copper to DSLAM is all BS (and perhaps some of the
other network infrastructure too), but I've had resold DSL before (not
Triangle area) and the actual IP network was not the same as that
owned by the local Bell - In this case all the IPs & routes were
through Savis. They had their own separate DNS caches, also the actual
DSL connection was just straight DHCP with no PPPOE layer.  It also
had the advantage that it was a fairly small ISP, and if I emailed
tech support I usually ended with their sysadmin calling me.

Now I'm sure that some ISPs are just reselling the Bell's offerings
directly, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

David.