[TriLUG] Internal Search Engines/Appliances

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Fri Sep 14 16:57:33 EDT 2007

IMHO,

Don't waste your time on the enterprise-level box. There are lot of
issues we're having with it.

1) The open source connectors absolutely suck.
2) All the open source connectors are apparently built into the 5.0
release of the GSA code (coming out in October).
3) You're going to need to know kerberos authentication like the back of
your hand if you're considering indexing a clustered file system.
4) Indexing files (SMB/CIFS) returns all results as the user you
specified to have access to crawl the data instead of users
authenticating (although -- its rumored that web-enabled file shares
work fine).

I'd be glad to have a phone conference with you sometime if you
want.....