[TriLUG] Myth TV - need some pointers

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Fri Sep 21 16:47:49 EDT 2007

I've happily been watching MythTV in HD and SD for a few months now.
Here you can read up on the specs of the machine:

http://www.cafaro.net/2007/08/28/mythtv-in-hd-now-working/

To directly answer your questions:

1. What ever distro you are most comfortable working with.  You will
have to play around with the guts of it, besides mythdora and
knopmyth there isn't an "easy" install.  And those two don't work all
the time.

2. Yes, you'll have to either find a screen scraper or pay
$15/6months for listings.  ScheduledDirect (a non-profit org setup my
several open source developers including the MythTV folks) stated
goal is to get that down to about $20/year for listings.  I have no
problem paying that small amount for reliable listings.  Much cheaper
than TiVo and mine does a lot, lot more than TiVo does.

3. You want cool and quite.  Do some research.  Also depends on if
you are going to do HD content.  HD content takes horse power and
hardware acceleration to do well.  My setup supports HD very well,
though I do need more HD space (yes 400GB really doesn't cut it for HD).

Cheers,
David