[TriLUG] UNC Information Science field experience

Douglas A. Whitfield whitdoug at email.unc.edu
Sat Sep 22 13:33:45 EDT 2007

TriLUG,

At the meetings there's usually a "Have a job, need a job" section, but
since I have class on Thursday nights I can't make the meetings this
semester so I thought I'd post here.

Registration here at UNC-CH is coming up and the School of Information and
Library Science offers a Field Experience program
(http://sils.unc.edu/programs/msls/field_exp.html
).  The URL has lots of info, but here's the info on the Site Supervisor:

*Site Supervisor. * Although the student is ultimately responsible for
his/her own learning, the site supervisor has the major responsibility of
ensuring that a professional work experience is provided for the student.
The site supervisor offers professional guidance and facilitates learning
opportunities for the student. Specifically, the site supervisor:

   - *Agrees to work with a student*. The supervisor has the right to
   reject an applicant. The agency may require that the student complete an
   application process before selection.
   - Works with the student to *develop the Fieldwork
Agreement*identifying areas, projects and activities at the site that
are appropriate
   for student involvement and assuring that the Fieldwork Agreement details
   the nature, rationale, methodology, responsibilities and criteria for
   evaluation for the work that the student will do.
   - *Makes necessary arrangements with the site*. This includes alerting
   co-workers and other appropriate personnel and providing space, equipment
   and supplies for the student.
   - *Orients the student to the site*, its physical layout,
   organizational structure, clientele and services offered.
   - *Meets with the student* during the field experience as necessary
   for review and discussion.
   - *Communicates with the faculty supervisor *on the student's
   progress.
   - *Completes a written evaluation *form provided by the School at the
   end of the experience and meets with the student to review the final
   evaluation.
   - *Contacts the faculty supervisor *or the fieldwork coordinator if
   any questions or problems arise.

As to compensation here's their bit on that:
"A student may receive pay for the experience or may not, dependent on
policies and resources at the host site. If pay is available, a fieldwork
student may receive both credit and pay."

Even if you don't want me, there's plenty of other SILS students out there
that might be looking to take part in this program.  It's free labor.

As to me, I'd be happy to fill out a formal application and out a resume,
but I thought I'd just list my grad school classes here and see if anybody
thought it sounded like I might be qualified.  I'm particularly interested
in a corporate setting such as Red Hat, IBM, Cisco, etc. because I don't
have any experience in the corporate world.  All my tech jobs have been for
UNC-CH.  I have very limited Java programming experience and am a Linux
newb, having run Windoze mostly and then OS X for a couple years.  No BSD or
Solaris experience, but would love to learn.

Here's the IS classes I've taken/am taking/plan to take:

Fall 06: Systems Analysis, Health Information Management, Organization of
Information, Information Retrieval
Spring 07: Internet Applications, Information Resources, Human Information
Interaction, Introduction to Databases
Fall 07: Advanced Internet Applications, XML, Database I, Research Methods
Spring 08: Web Databases (or Protocols and Network Management, depending on
if my potential Field Experience has a preference), Human Resources
Management, Master's Paper, Field Experience

None of the classes next semester are on Thursday nights, so I'll be able to
attend meetings again.  Yay!

Again, I'd be happy to fill out a formal application, send a formal resume
or answer any questions via e-mail, phone or in person.  Cell is in sig.

Thank you,

--
Douglas A. Whitfield

Co-President Carolina Open Source Initiative
http://www.ibiblio.org/cosi
cell: 919-360-0306