[TriLUG] corporate interning, was: UNC Information Science field experience

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Sun Sep 23 12:26:16 EDT 2007

Douglas A. Whitfield Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:33:45 -0400
 > Registration here at UNC-CH is coming up and the School of
 > Information and Library Science offers a Field Experience program
 > (http://sils.unc.edu/programs/msls/field_exp.html

 > I'm particularly interested in a corporate setting such as Red Hat,
 > IBM, Cisco, etc. because I don't have any experience in the
 > corporate world. All my tech jobs have been for UNC-CH.

Your experience sounds like mine circa 2001, s/UNC/NCSU/ && s/ILS/CSC.
I'm wondering, why not just try interning? I know that

* I got a quite-well-paying (at the bottom of the bubble-burst, no
   less) and technically-challenging internship @ IBM through the NCSU
   career center. Which converted to "permanent" when I graduated ...
   except that "permanent" == "until we decide to whack your group" :-(
   Still, it was a financially rewarding 5.5 years: I graduated with
   no debt, plus I saved enough to go to grad school on.

* I know IBM has recruited through UNC's career center in the past--I
   did it for my group, which interned one undergrad for a year and a
   master's student for a summer.

Feel free to ping me offline for more details.