[TriLUG] Hiring Good People [was Re: OT Humor (at least to me)]

Jeff Ellis ncsufan at pobox.com
Sat Sep 29 13:00:11 EDT 2007

IMHO the people who are the best at their jobs are the most interested and invest some of their free time improving their skill set(s).  This makes user groups a great place to recruit.  The best people generally have jobs already though and aren't necessarily actively looking to move, so having something extra to offer is a big help.  As expensive as recruiting and hiring new talent is, I'm often surprised at how little employers do to retain good people.

I highly recommend Chad Fowler's book "My Job Went to India - (and All I Got Was This Lousy Book)".  It's a great resource for anyone wanting to become one of those "best" people, and for anyone looking for them to hire.

Jeff

Message: 17