[TriLUG] Buy 1 Get 1 Free OLPC / XO

Tom Eisenmenger teisenmenger at charter.net
Sun Sep 30 10:59:34 EDT 2007

I know this is an old, forgotten post (see below - frankly, I don't know how
I missed it).  At any rate, I just came across this news item:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/24/business/worldbusiness/24laptop.html?_r=2&
ref=technology&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

In a nutshell, the OLPC Project is offering American and Canadian consumers
a "Buy 1, Get 1 Free" opportunity.  For $399, you can buy an XO which will
be delivered by Christmas 2007 and another XO will be shipped to a child in
a developing nation.

Is this something Trilug could take on as a community project?  I know that
most of us don't have deep pockets (I've got two in college myself) but it
might be worthwhile.  We could either use our own machines to help the
development effort, or we could "adopt" an underperforming school in the
area that's open to the idea of using OSS machines.

Sadly, the window of opportunity is narrow and almost upon us - the OLPC
must receive orders between Nov. 15 and Nov. 26 so this might just not be
possible but I thought I'd toss out the idea anyway.

-- Tom Eisenmenger