[TriLUG] Securely and Accurately transmit passwords

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 23:53:06 EDT 2007

On 10/3/07, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I don't, but I'm gonna start now. How do I set it to lock out for an
> hour after 10 unsuccessful tries?

Start by installing denyhosts and looking at the sample conf file. The
comments in it should be all you need:

http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/

If you use Ubuntu or debian, it's in the repos:

cmpalmer at kant:~$ apt-cache search denyhosts
denyhosts - an utility to help sys admins thwart ssh hackers

Others on this list:

denyhosts is awesome but somewhat limited. Are there other apps (that
you're actively using) that have similar functionality but use
iptables and cover all listening services?

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
celebrating 15 years of sunsite/metalab/ibiblio: