[TriLUG] SCPing root owned files from servers that disallow root login

Chris Bullock cgbullock at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 17:25:49 EDT 2007

The topic securely and accurately transmitting passwords brought this to
my attention.  We have some servers that have root owned files that we
occasionally need to scp to another server.  Our problem is that when
using sudo it still ask for the root password on the remote server.
Is there a way around this?
[cgb at server1 :/home/cgb]$ sudo scp -P 22222 server2:/etc/file.conf .
The authenticity of host 'server2 (172.30.1.1)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 4f:d9:e0:8a:66:2c:a1:c5:73:61:5b:cd:21:53:c0:e4.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'server2,172.30.1.1' (RSA) to the list of known
hosts.
root at server2's password:
[cgb at server1 :/home/cgb]

Chris