[TriLUG] Date in Thunderbird and job listings

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Sun Oct 7 15:38:05 EDT 2007

At 3:06p -0400 on 07 Oct 2007, Douglas A. Whitfield wrote:
> I just found that running "LC_TIME="en_SG.UTF-8" thunderbird &" in terminal
> works, but it seems to go away each time you turn off Thunderbird, so I'll
> need a way to fix that.

Time for a script:

script:
$ cat > ~/bin/thunderbird
#!/bin/sh

LC_TIME="en_SG.UTF-8" thunderbird
^D

$ chmod +x ~/bin/thunderbird

Make sure that ~/bin is at the front of your $PATH variable, then you
should be able to run thunderbird with Singapore's locale automagically.

(I know, some may jump on ~/bin being at front of path, so feel free to
make ~/bin/thunderbird a unique name, and put ~/bin at the end of the
$PATH variable.)

> What the line does is set Thunderbirds time format
> (but not time) to Signapore.  For some reason, this works.

Weird.

Kevin