[TriLUG] Problems with debian software raid install.

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Mon Oct 8 14:25:50 EDT 2007

I toggled the /dev/hda1 as bootable (at least in the debian
installer), but there wasn't an option to toggle /dev/md0 as
bootable.  I believe only /dev/hda1 needs to be toggled as I think
that's a BIOS search (which wouldn't be aware of the /dev/md0 device).

-David

On Oct 8, 2007, at 2:18 PM, William Sutton wrote:

> did you toggle your raid boot partition to bootable?
>
> William Sutton
>

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, David A. Cafaro wrote:
>
>> Hmm, that doesn't seem to be the problem I'm having.  Everything
>> seems to have gone smoothly, no complaints about partition or file
>> system creation.  And it does actually create the raid system and
>> install all the software as requested (and confirmed using the Fedora
>> rescue CD).  It just won't boot.  Thanks though.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Oct 8, 2007, at 2:11 PM, William Sutton wrote:
>>
>>> I have Etch running on a pair of PATA drives using RAID1.  The Etch
>>> installer (or I) seem to have issues creating layered filesystem
>>> types
>>> (e.g., ext3 on lvm on raid).  My recollection of what I had to do
>>> was