[TriLUG] Postfix Relay issues

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Mon Oct 8 21:09:41 EDT 2007

This is the first time that I have ever installed Postfix. This is on a
server to relay notification mail being generated from a Cisco Box to
our hosted email server.
I have used the Howtos and readme files on the Postfix.org and
Ubuntuforums.org sites to assist me in setting up postfix as a relay.
Local mail that I generate locally on the server is completing and being
sent to the hosted email server just fine.

It’s the email that generated by the Cisco box to be relayed to our
hosted email server that is giving me the problem.
When I generate an email message from the cisco box I get the following
postfix log message:
(I have munged the IP address and domain names)

10/08/2007 12:25:50 PM gsdokeos postfix/smtpd[18301] NOQUEUE: reject:
RCPT from 166.XX.XX.XX.quickclick.ctc.net[166.XX.XX.XX]: 550 5.1.1
<dmssuser at AA-XXXX.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
local recipient table; from=<nllittle at AA-XXXX.com>
to=<dmssuser at AA-XXXX.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<dms.AA-XXXX.com>

All of these email addresses exist on the hosted email server and I want
them to be relayed through Postfix to the hosted email server.
Here is main.cf and parameter values:

# See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

# Debian specific: Specifying a file name will cause the first
# line of that file to be used as the name. The Debian default
# is /etc/mailname.
#myorigin = /etc/mailname

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
#delay_warning_time = 4h

# TLS parameters
smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
smtpd_use_tls=yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtpd_scache
smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtp_scache

# See /usr/share/doc/postfix/TLS_README.gz in the postfix-doc package for
# information on enabling SSL in the smtp client.

myhostname = gsdokeos
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
mydestination = AA-XXXX.com, lms.AA-XXXX.com, gsdokeos, localhost
relayhost =
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 166.XX.XX.XX/29
mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter = +
inet_interfaces = all
myorigin = /etc/mailname (contents: gsdokeos)
inet_protocols = all
relay_domains = $mydestination
canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
permit_mynetworks = $mynetworks
relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients
local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps

I appreciate anyone who can enlighten me

CUL,
Neil Little, WA4AZL
JARS Forever!!