[TriLUG] Which is better?

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Wed Oct 10 22:10:50 EDT 2007

I have only my anecdotal admin experience of patching or upgrading
again, and again, and again in response to security bulletins regarding
Sendmail.  In a heterogeneous environment this gets old fast, believe me.

But just for fun, I went and searched CVE (cve.mitre.org) for a strict
count of reported vulnerabilities.  I started at 2001, as that's when
the first Postfix vulnerability was reported.

Postfix: 4
Sendmail: 40

Of course Sendmail has a much wider usage, in that it's the default
mailer still in Solaris, AIX, etc. etc.  But still -- 10:1, FWIW.

I do agree with you that 15 years ago security was not much thought of.
 But Sendmail stagnated, for the most part, and Postfix, exim, & qmail
have filled in the Unix mailer gap.  qmail in particular, but also
Postfix, also take a pretty strict "never lose it" approach.  Barring
sudden loss of power I have never seen qmail lose a single message.

Like I said, no reason for a person who values his sanity to do a new
Sendmail install. :)

- --bak