[TriLUG] mailman tuning

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Oct 21 11:20:32 EDT 2007

Chris,

I've seen this issue thousands of times in the past. Most likely you are using the default database setup and that database size has hit some local threshold that pretty much makes it take forever to do any lookups or mods. When the database is small enough then most mods happen in RAM - the read/writes are cached in RAM. When the size gets too big to cache in RAM, then it does the actual read/writes to disk - and waits for the commits.

Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww becomes an understatement in this scenario.

The easiest fix for this, is to create a small ram drive and run Mailman from that drive.  Modify your Mailman startup/stop scripts to mount the RAM drive - sync the files up to the Mounted drive, then start Mailman.  On stopping, have it sync the files to an on-disk copy, then stop mailman. Be sure to make nightly backups.

The Size of your RAM drive should be about 2x the current size of your Mailman install.
Trust me, you will love it.  Once you have done this, then everything happens directly in RAM again, and it is very spiffy (that's an old fart term for fast).

Jon Carnes