[TriLUG] Windows DHCP to ISC DHCP migration
shawnlhood at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:11:58 EDT 2007
1) Want to move DHCP services for a pretty sizable userbase to a linux dhcp
2) Cannot have everyone shut off their computers or release/renew their
3) Limited IP space within subnet, so the DHCP servers must serve from the
same address pool
1) Import leases from Windows, which I don't think is possible
2) In #trilug there was some mention of doing a failover setup, but the
servers must be able to communicate. The leases aren't replicated by the
secondary server listening to dhcp broadcasts and taking notes in
preparation for failover. There is no way, to my knowledge, that failover
can be configured in such a manner between windows dhcp and dhcpd.
3) Shorten the lease time to a very small number, wait for all workstations
to cycle. Shut off the Windows DHCP and startup Linux.
It seems as if 3 is the best option. Your input?
More information about the TriLUG