[TriLUG] "Magic" navigation

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Tue Oct 23 13:33:55 EDT 2007

I was waiting for him to respond back but my thought is this:  If it isn't
necessary to process the text changes between hiding them and revealing
them, then you don't need to post back to the script /at all/ until the
changes are finalized.  This would mean changing the page so that
1. the hide/reveal buttons are in a <form> tag with no action attribute
2. any other buttons that don't require postback can also be grouped with
the buttons in #1.
3. any postback buttons can be kept in the existing form tag
4. the buttons grouped in #1 can be <button name="foo"
onClick="javascript_action_here()"> which then handles hide/reveal/etc
5. put <a name="foo" style tags in each text block, and jump to those (or
use some other strategy) at the completion of javascript_action_here()

For client-side-only actions, there's no need to keep posting back to the
server.

William Sutton