[TriLUG] "Magic" navigation

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Oct 23 15:49:43 EDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 01:33:55PM -0400, William Sutton wrote:
> I was waiting for him to respond back but my thought is this:  If it isn't
> necessary to process the text changes between hiding them and revealing
> them, then you don't need to post back to the script /at all/ until the
> changes are finalized.  This would mean changing the page so that
> 1. the hide/reveal buttons are in a <form> tag with no action attribute
> 2. any other buttons that don't require postback can also be grouped with
> the buttons in #1.
> 3. any postback buttons can be kept in the existing form tag
> 4. the buttons grouped in #1 can be <button name="foo"
> onClick="javascript_action_here()"> which then handles hide/reveal/etc
> 5. put <a name="foo" style tags in each text block, and jump to those (or
> use some other strategy) at the completion of javascript_action_here()

Sorry for not getting back to you as quickly as I should.  I was trying
some of the suggestions, and comparing them to things that I had already
tried.  As I just mentioned in another part of the thread, I was
simplifying the problem in my description to you.  These blocks of
"text" aren't really.  They are data entry fields, buttons, some help
text, miscellaneous other PHP stuff, all wrapped in "fieldset and div"
blocks.

This is just a reason for the POST action, but, as somebody else also
suggested, the navigation doesn't necessarily need to be part of the
overall form, but might be more client-side, as you suggest.

Thank you,
Brian