[TriLUG] "Magic" navigation

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Oct 25 11:43:09 EDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 12:25:24PM -0400, William Sutton wrote:
> I guess I'm still not understanding what exactly it is you want to do.
> Let's see if I can restate the problem:
>
> 1. you have a group of buttons at the top of the page that hide/reveal
> certain blocks of text further down the page
> 2. you want to jump to a particular block after you reveal it
> 3. you have the <form> tag around the action buttons posting back to the
> php script that previously rendered the current page
>
> When you re-submit the page for the actions that hide/reveal text, do you
> process the text on the server side, or do you pass it through unchanged?
>
> William Sutton

Sorry for the delay again.  More "external interruptions."

Yes, you have described the situation correctly.  I am processing inputs
and button clicks on the page outside of the "navigation" buttons, and
re-calling the page.  What I described as "blocks of text" are actually
combinations of text, data entry fields and buttons.  Because of this, I
seem to need to have the <form> enclosing everything. However, I have
found that because of the sequence of events involved in a combination
of PHP and HTML, it seems that the "#target" tag on the form "action"
clause is set before it can help with the scroll action.

Brian