[TriLUG] Tricky routing issue

Joshua Gitlin josh at digitalfruition.com
Mon Oct 29 18:23:49 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

Looking for advice here. I have a complicated scenario and I'm not
sure how to se it up.

Problem in a nutshell: I need to share an IP address between two or
more servers, because I need to use the same SSL certificate for two
different services on two different servers.

I'm running a website and Jabber. Both need to have the same
certificate, and one server serves Jabber while another server runs
the websites. The way I decided to solve this issue was to create a
private 192.168 network between the two servers (web and jabber) and
place a PFSense router on that netwkr. That way if i assign the IP
with the cert attached to it to the PFSense router I can use port
forwarding to send Jabber to one server and web to the other.

The issue is that the web server has multiple public IP addresses,
and if it's on both the private net and the public internet, this
setup doesn't work.

Any ideas?

-Josh

Due to the recent increase in spam and falsely sent email, I now PGP
Sign all of my outgoing mail to prove my identity. This means that
you will see an attachment called "PGP.sig" with this message. This
attachment can be used to prove that I am who I say I am. If you are
not familiar with PGP, you can safely ignore it. For more
information, please visit http://www.pgp.com/ or http://www.gnupg.org/