[TriLUG] Router question AND Re: try #2: Any compiz fusion experts?

Douglas A. Whitfield whitdoug at email.unc.edu
Fri Nov 2 12:28:41 EDT 2007

I fixed it!  It was actually just of matter of changing something in the
General options...I hadn't really noticed the General Options because there
aren't all the check boxes under general settings like the more advanced
stuff.  I thought "General Options" was just the header!

I'm going to go ahead and derail my own thread and cross post another thread
from Ubuntu Forums I made last night:

"Normally I would be thrilled that something worked in Ubuntu and not XP,
but in this case, I've had lightning damage and really just want to get this
back in order. 3 out of 4 of the connections on my router appear to be
busted. Wireless works just fine. The 4th wired connection works in Ubuntu
and not Windows. I've tried three different Ethernet cards on this
particular Windoze box. I also tried a laptop a while back (though I can't
remember for certain that I tried it on that 4th, just perhaps the
others...which are def dead).

Is there any good reason for this to be the case? Perhaps my Ethernet in my
Dell laptop just r0x? Here's the real kicker....it's a Microsoft router!
(don't hate me, it was a gift).

Eventually, I'll read the documentation on connection sharing (and wait on
my brother to give me his two wireless antennae's that are not in use), but
I thought this issue of the router playing nice with Linux "out of the box"
and not Windows was humorous. Oh, one other note, I know for a fact one of
the network cards I tried in Windows works, because when I hook it out to
the laptop, the lights start blinking. So weird."