[TriLUG] questions about Linux and syslog servers

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 09:44:05 EST 2007

Hi all.  We are getting ready to replace our beloved syslog platform and are
searching for new solutions.  I'd like have to have a syslog server that is
'user friendly', that is it does not require *any* linux or unix skills by
the end user.  Sure, it's easy enough to do a 'sudo tail -f
/var/log/messages | grep regex' but trust me, this is enough to scare away
most people.

I don't mind handling the administration of the software and server, no
problem.  I'd like to have some kind of web interface as the front end of
the syslog server.  I'd also prefer to have some kind of AJAX or AJAX-like
web interface that would do the equivalent of 'tail -f...'.

Any suggestions?

Greg