[TriLUG] XML lists and forums

Kevin Kreamer kevin at kreamer.org
Sun Nov 25 19:54:31 EST 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 7:10 PM, Douglas A. Whitfield <whitdoug at email.unc.edu> wrote:
> If anybody wants to step up and help me with an XML encoding issue,
> even better, but right now I'm really looking for a good XML
> (particularly RSS 2.0) list and/or forum where I can ask about an
> encoding issue.  This particular RSS is pulling in Greek, English,
> Hebrew, Cyrillic, etc. and right now they don't get along.  Feed
> readers pick it up, but it won't display in a browser page at all (IE
> 6 under WINE, IE 7 Win, Firefox Win/Ubuntu), and a Magpie RSS
> implementation (which I finally have working with other feeds!) is
> barfing on it.  The feed source can be viewed at
> http://www.ibiblio.org/snkahn/feed/...but make sure you view source in
> the browser, cause all you'll see otherwise is the feed title...alas.

It looks like the XML feed is using HTML character encodings.  You
should use numeric references instead of the HTML encodings (for
example, ó instead of ó), and then include a UTF8 encoding
in the XML header, like so '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>'.
See the  "XML character entity references" section of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Html_entity for a little more
information, and see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_references
for the individual conversions.