[TriLUG] newbie needs help with IP setup, part 2: static IP?

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Dec 4 18:57:27 EST 2007

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 06:27:07PM -0500, Tom Roche wrote:

> Tom Roche Tue, 04 Dec 2007 16:54:32 -0500
>  >> I'm trying to setup a POS for my food co-op. That will ultimately
>  >> require static IP (more later), but for current testing DHCP should
>  >> work. Unfortunately I'm not getting even that,
>
> * The POS I'm trying to setup will ultimately need 2 static IP#s, in
>    order for a database box to talk to a "lane" box (to which the
>    display, scanner/scale, receipt printer, and cash drawer will
>    connect). These IP#s will go in config files for the POS app.
>
> * The friend who's hosting this has also acquired 2 domain names (for
>    yet another project) from godaddy, but hasn't done anything with
>    them yet.
>
> So I'm wondering, how to get 2 static IP#s and make them work on this
> network

Slight re-direct, your honour.

Do you have any GOOD reason to want your POS systems to be
Internet-accessable individually?

If all you want, as you state, is _static_ addresses, in other words,
addresses that don't change and are associated with an individual
machine, you can easily do that using non-routable addresses (
192.168.x.x series would be good for you ).

What I am reading from your questions suggests that you are being
confused ( and the highly technical (!) answers aren't helping ) by your
needs and the equipment that you are working with.

Let's ignore Domain Names and Public IPs ( which is what I think you are
confusing with Static IPs ) for the moment and see if we can work out
exactly what your requirements are.

What I understand is that you have a "store" where you intend to operate
two separate "cash registers" ( Linux POS boxes ).  You wish ( need ) to
have them communicate with each other, and possibly with a "store
controller" of some sort.

How am I so far?

To get fancier, you would like the ability to send ( and receive? )
reports to some remote location at some ( possibly automatic )
frequency.  Up until this, you didn't "need" any sort of Internet
connection ( or at least, not a "permananent" one ).

Once we are agreed on your requirements, it will help us make more
suggestions. ( This is very like many home and small business sites that
I have set up over the years. )

Brian