[TriLUG] OT: A favor- Record phone call

Liyun Yu liyunyu at med.unc.edu
Wed Dec 5 15:48:56 EST 2007

Jim,

The audio signal comes to the answer machine's speaker
is in the same frequency range like other audio devices.
I would suggest:

0) Hacking the answer machine by connecting the two wires
goes to the speaker, to the 3.5MM plug (you can get it from
any hardware stores, or you may cut off the earphone to borrow
its plug) This is going to be the input audio source for
the following recording methods.

1)You may plug into the computer's audio input
and launch an internal recording program to record it. Control
the volume from the answer machine to get the better recoding
quality.

2)If you have a receiver audio system, you may plug the audio
resource to the RCA input and replay the audio resource from
the receiver system. In this case, you may just use your laptop's
microphone as the recording device;

3) Borrow any digital audio recorder or get a tape recorder
to record it from the reply of the audio system will let you have
the recording on different media. The digital audio recorder is
cheap in these days and they are mp3 or wav format by default.

4) Actually once you have the audio source, you have many ways
of recording the output from there. I just named a few.

I wish this helps.

Liyun