[TriLUG] Your favorite photo tool[s]?

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Thu Dec 6 17:50:18 EST 2007

David Brain wrote:
> GIMP for photo editing, UFRaw (http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/) & dcraw
> (http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/) for raw file processing.

I also second the vote for UFRaw - if your camera can shoot RAW, do it.
 You will never realize how inferior jpeg files are until you learn what
you can do with a RAW format.  Sure, the raw files are bigger, but CF
cards are cheap.  If your camera doesn't shoot raw, there are some
alternative firmwares for some cameras that can do it :)

Oh yeah, and I dig the Gimp.  I use Photoshop at the paper I work for,
and it really is superior, but the Gimp is free and pretty darn close.
There are only a few tools that I miss when using the Gimp, and I don't
generally find myself using those tools on actual photo editing anyway.

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com