[TriLUG] Get a router now! - Re: newbie needs help with IP setup, part 2: static IP?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Dec 6 18:58:13 EST 2007

Magnus wrote:

> Tom's getting a lot of good opinions and advice on this.  If he decides
> he'd like to have dhcp and ddns services, I'm happy to continue to help
> with that.
>
> dhcp and ddns are my own preferences for establishing any new network
> environment, large or small.  It works well for me.  YMMV.

It works for you because you are a highly experienced network
administrator and are very familiar with the technologies described.  I
was simply stating it wasn't appropriate for a self-described "newbie."
  You have to start small, otherwise delving into much more complex
technologies will be too daunting, and could drive one to frustration.

I am certainly NOT discouraging YOU from using this approach in your own
networks.  I'm just saying it's not right for Tom given his level of
expertise.  Now, once he's got the basics up and running and wants to
learn more complex setups, that's perfectly alright.  So I have no
problem with bringing it up in discussion in terms of "what you can do
when you want to get fancier."  But you shouldn't encourage someone to
rebuild a Ferrari before you learn to do the brakes on your Toyota.

Hope this clarifies my point.

--Jeremy