[TriLUG] Labelling conventions...

Chris Bullock cgbullock at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 17:08:19 EST 2007

Although, this has been mentioned before and noses were turned up, this is
what we did while I was an intern.  I swapped out about 50 Cisco switches
and replaced them with Catalyst 4006, I was on a 20,000 node network, and
what we did was we had the name of the switch followed by port number and
on the second line the UTP #, so it would be:
switchname a24
UTP D-317

This would be at both ends of the cable, so whichever way you started you
knew where the other end was.
As far as moving switchports why would you do that, and how often do
switchports go bad?  If you move a person, you make a new label and the
same for switchports.
Regards,
Chris