[TriLUG] File extensions: OK, I understand now

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Dec 12 14:15:12 EST 2007

Hi all,

OK, I get it now. No file extension. My executable will simply be
called "fpick". I'm changing my Makefile as we speak.

Thanks for all of your quick input. Some was deadly serious, some was more
humorous (Hi Alan), but all of you overwhelmingly opined there should be no
extension.

I cut my teeth on the PDP 11 and PC-DOS where extensions were actually
important, so perhaps I have some predjudices from that early work. If this
were just for myself, I'd probably use the .exe just to humor myself, but
because this is free software available on the net, I'll follow universal
convention and not use a file extension.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware