[TriLUG] Zonbu/Everex

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Sun Dec 16 14:50:28 EST 2007

Jason Evans wrote:
> There's a new startup called Zonbu that is selling Everex laptops for $279
> with a 24/mo service contract.  Basically, it's the cell phone service
> business model applied to the PC industry.  Buy the service, get a laptop
> for cheap.
>
> From what I've read online, this operation does seem to be on the up and
> up.  However, I would like to know if anyone on the list has dealt with them
> or used one of the Everex laptops with Linux installed, and what your
> impressions are.  BTW, these are the same laptops being sold at Walmart.

I kind of wonder if their system is Linux under the hood.  It sounds
like they might be running X Windows, since they offer all the games
that come with Gnome.  Sounds like kind of a cool device actually, and
as Big Brother as their backup scheme sounds, it sounds like a better
idea than what most people do (not backup at all).  I don't think I'd
pay that $15/mo. for the service though, and if you add two years of
service to the $279, you're looking at the same price for a low end
laptop with no contracts.  Of course, they do have that offer of free
replacement as long as you're under their contract...  I'm interested to
see where they go with this!

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com